Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The End of an Era


It was announced last Friday that my favorite record store, the Electic Fetus (of St. Cloud, MN) will be closing May 23, 2014. I posted about how much I love this store in 2011. Rereading that post today, my heart sank as it seems the writing was already on the wall. The changing music industry and the change in their consumer are two obvious factors predicting this fate more than three years ago.  Since the news broke, something bitter sweet has happened. A person I don't know, Justin Michael, organized a facebook group to reach out to people like me. It turns out there are 317 other people who care about this place as much as I do. A dial drive was organized, and people have been calling them to ask them to reconsider, or, at the very least, consider opening in a new location in St. Cloud. While our efforts have been unsuccessful, there is comfort in solidarity.

Copied from the FB group page, a word from the Justin Michael:


UPDATE:

Keith Covart, founder of the Electric Fetus, called me earlier this afternoon. Our conversation began with him being OVERWHELMED with the countless phone calls you have all been making... he was so touched by all the support, which it sounded like he needed.

It was immediately clear how much pain he was in, knowing fully well how much The Electric Fetus meant to us all. We talked of community, the sense of belonging it brought, and the importance of local musicians, which he refereed to as "The Salt of the Earth."

Unfortunately, it does not sound like the Fetus will reopen in St Cloud. However, I spoke with Keith at length about a team of us opening up a location in St Cloud with the same mission of The Fetus, a non-profit venture with a for profit enterprise selling the best music on the market while supporting our local musicians and artists, and we are meeting in early may to begin working on a business plan.

However, we are STILL NOT DONE: Here is what you can do to send out the Electric Fetus with a BANG!

1.) Keep calling! Keith was so happy by the countless phone calls he has recieved. Call and thank him for the experience he helped create for our community!

2.) GO TO THE FETUS~! They aren't closed yet, and now is the time to go and support the store we knew as a home. Here are two important dates to mark in your calender!
*Art Crawl on March 21st
*Record Store Day on April 19th
(Follow them on Facebook for further updates)

3.) STAY TUNED: A HUGE APPRECIATION CONCERT is currently in the works, with special guests, prizes, and a whole lot of memories to be made. TBA!

Remember folks, this is not because of St Cloud, our culture, our our STRONG and THRIVING community. It is because of circumstance out of Keith's control, and we should thank him and our friends who work at the Fetus who made it so special. This isn't an end, just a new beginning.

Support local businesses.
Support local art.
Support local music.
Support community.
Support each other.

A comment posted from Andy Valenty, owner of the Electic Fetus, on the facebook group's wall:


Hi, this is me, Andy Valenty. I'm using my son's facebook account to post just this one time. I'm not a social media user, and my home phone number is unlisted. I feel more comfortable in my skin with that distance. However, I am flabbergasted with the amount and depth of response so far on this event. I am as deeply moved as the rest of the Electric Fetus staff is over the outpouring of support, and really, LOVE, Central Minnesotans have concerning what we've done in that iconic location. Thank you all!

Still, that doesn't leave me any less cast off and displaced. I'm making some significant personal changes with the closing of the store. My retirement account is being returned to me, more or less looking for a new place to grow. I'm going to change the way I volunteer on KVSC, and on top of that, will have a lot of time on my hands starting in June. I came into this job as an adult, and will leave (after 24 years) with the need to still be in the workforce.

My hope is that with the discussions of a new beginning for a Central Minnesota music source, is that you include me in them. I'd like to be one who contributes the info that so many of us have discussed over the years about what works and doesn't work for St. Cloud. Starting with a reliable building, and embracing a connection to more original music bands--these are just a couple of aspects which can be combined with the commitment and service the St. Cloud staff has already provided. Things that didn't work or are outdated can be cast away, making this new venture more inclusive.

I don't get the posts on various stories from people who say that this closure represents "what's wrong with St. Cloud...," "St. Cloud didn't deserve the Fetus," and the ilk. There have been an alarming amount of great local businesses who all of a sudden announced they were no longer going to be in business, but there is also the opportunity to make things better--much better. All the input and energy I imagine will come into discussions for reorganization may make a "Rube Goldberg machine" at first, but an efficient, working business will be the final result.

I have spoken to many of you personally, and at length (in some instances) about this closure. Please realize this action deeply impacts me, and although I keep a brave face on behind the counter, I've cried each day I walked to work since the day of the closing announcement. I have a very narrowly-trained and focused skill set, and want to continue applying it with the hope of making St. Cloud a better place, in regards to commerce and the arts. Talk to me at the store and take my phone number if you want to talk at length. Continue to support your local record store, and join us at the parties we'll be throwing in the next two months. Really, we couldn't have done this without you!
  • You and 78 others like this.
  • Jeffrey Pederson Andy, we have had so many wonderful, bizarre, funny, and wonderfully bizarre conversations over the years. Many which cannot be broadcast here. However, the music talks always stand out. I can't count how many bands, artists, and genres I would not hav...See More
    13 hours ago · Like · 5
  • Dana Drazenovich In my mind, shopping for/buying/experiencing music and Andy Valenty are inseparable experiences. We have a big group of people here with a myriad of wonderful skills, a deep love for all the Electric Fetus is and represents and a big need to see Andy o...See More
    12 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Andy Watson It was energizing to read your words again, my friend, and, yes, you were the first person I thought of when I heard the news. Change happens whether we are ready for it or not. 24 years is a long time, but you are just getting started. You've clear...See More
    12 hours ago · Like · 1
  • Julia Becker

Goodbye Electric Fetus of St. Cloud. I will always appreicate your significant contribution to my love of music. You will be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment